Friday, October 28, 2005

I've started using Skype for my long distance telephony. Skype's a VoIP service, similar to Vonage except that they're more PC centric, charge per minute instead of monthly, and don't advertise nearly so much. So far, I like it -- good voice quality, and cheap -- which are just about the only things I care about for outgoing long distance calls.

But here's an interesting thought about Skype -- I think it's going to lead to an explosion of Nigerian 419 style scams, except voice-based and coming out of India instead of Nigeria. Like Nigeria, India has an exhange rate that will make any sucessful scammer into a millionaire. Unlike Nigeria, it has a large population with fluency in English and training in how to "close a sale" provided by all the corperate call centers there. Skype's network in particular will be appealing for scammers because of the low cost, excellent sound quality (sounds professional) and virtually untappable network.

Hope I'm wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home